Thursday, July 02, 2009

200906 - Quilt Challenges

My local quilt guild “Valley Quilters Guild” has 3 challenges going on right now. One is a guild-wide challenge and the other two are associated with Bees that I attend: The Out of the Box Bee and the Beading Bee.

The VALLEY QUILT GUILD 2010 CHALLENGE
The theme for this year's challenge is Simply Delicious. Members are challenged to celebrate the bounty of our tables and kitchens and portray the festive and nourishing foods and beverages that enrich our everyday lives and special occasions. Challenge Rules:
1. The quilt may be no larger than 120 inches measured as the sum of all sides.
2. The quilt must include at least one piece of appliqué (hand or machine)of any size on the front of the quilt.
3. The edges must be bound or otherwise finished and the quilt must be quilted or tied.
4. The back must have a sewn label with the maker's name, phone number and the title of the quilt.
5. The quilt must be new work.
6. Deadline for delivery of the quilt is the guild meeting on the fourth Thursday in January 2010.

The Out of the Box Bee focuses Art Quilts and embellishments. The theme for this years challenge is “Out of the Box”. Members are challenged to think outside the box with the freedom to do something out of the ordinary. Challenge Rules:
1. The quilt may be no larger than 120 inches measured as the sum of all sides. It can be variety of sizes and shapes. Do something Out of the Box.
2. The quilt must have a “Box” on the front but it doesn't have to be a 'cardboard' box, with flaps or a lid. A box can also be a square.
3. The edges must be bound or otherwise finished and the quilt must be quilted or tied.
4. The back must have a sewn label with the maker's name, phone number and the title of the quilt.
5. The quilt must be new work.
6. The quilt must include a new technique for the quilter.
7. Deadline for delivery of the quilt is the OOB Bee meeting on the third Thursday in January 2010.

The Beading bee started out using beads but now has branched out to making beads. Challenge Rules:
1 Make 1 or more beads from “Fabulous Fabric Beads” by Kristal Wick, “Creative Beads from Paper & Fabric“ by Ann Kristen Krier, or your favorite Bead book and use them in a project.
2 This project can be jewelry, a wearable item, a quilt, a purse, a scissors fob or anything else you want to put beads on.
3 Deadline for delivery of the project is the February Beading Bee meeting (Feb 18, 2009).

I love challenges like these but have a real problem with long term delivery dates. I have a new idea every month. Since I am constantly being exposed to new techniques, I keep thinking of how to use the new technique in a new design. Since I change my mind so often, I don’t start. Since I don’t start, I don’t finish. You get my meaning, don’t you.? Currently, I am actively working on the Out of the Box Challenge, actually drew out some designs, and selected potential fabric. So far I have gone 2 months without changing my mind so maybe I will actually finish this one before the very last moment. I also have initial ideas for the other 2 challenges but we will see if I actually do something. My hopes are high. After all, I have been blogging again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

these challenges sound very fun. keep talking about them.