Wednesday, July 22, 2009

20090722 - Sugar Low cont.

Last time I said I thought there were more things I need to have learned. Here are a couple…
1) You know when the ad says talk to your doctor before you try… Well, apparently I am one of the people who need to do it. The last big low I had was after I started Weight Watchers. I take 2 kinds of insulin: 1) Humalog which I take with meals and match the dosage to the carbs I eat and 2) Lantus which I take at night to provide a base level of insulin. As I started eating differently I changed the Humalog dosage to match the carbs but I never thought to change the Lantus dosage. And eventually that led to a big low. And to a discussion with the Doc where we changed the Lantus dosage.
This time I added exercise to the picture without changing either of the insulins and I expect that that was what led to this second big low. I have an appointment with the Doc this afternoon, so hopefully we can work out a new plan,
2) In the past my eyesight was affected by sugar lows. When I spoke to my doc he said it was not my eyes that were having the problem but my brain. It did not have enough fuel to process all the information my eyes were sending. I used to say that if my brain did not have fuel to process vision, imagine how good my judgment was.
So my sister (the nurse) is trying to convince my dinosaur brain that the my first thought after realizing I am having a low is “GET HELP”. I am not sure how to get that thought into that part of my brain. It never feels that bad in the beginning and so I keep making poor judgments. At least the thought is in there now. Hope it comes out.

No comments: